Cranberry Sauce for Holidays in Cairo
I'm not a holiday celebrating person, but since moving to Egypt, I have found there is a fascination here with holidays. Any holiday is an excuse to have a party and eat delicious food.
For anyone craving the cranberry sauce side dish that is usually served as part of an American Thanksgiving or Christmas meal, I offer this recipe.
I find Ocean Spray cranberry sauce in the jar at most Metro stores for about 29LE.
If you ever find fresh cranberries in Egypt, please let me know.
Recipe to Get the Best Side Salad from Cranberry Sauce in a Jar
- 1 jar of whole cranberry sauce
- 1 can mandarin oranges drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup or slightly less water
- 1 small orange, zested and juiced
- 3-4 tablespoons brown sugar, more if the orange isn't sweet
- Walnut pieces, chopped
- Pecan pieces, if you can find them
Cook, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let it cool.
After it has cooled,
Stir in the cranberry sauce. Add the walnuts and pecans. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
Store in the refrigerator and let come to room temperature before serving.